Thursday, November 24, 2016

Gray Catbird along Wascana Creek in Regina SK

Gray Catbird. Copyright © Shelley Banks, all rights reserved
Gray Catbird, singing its hoarse cat-like song. © SB

During one of my regular, but long-ago, walks along Wascana Creek, I saw a Gray Catbird.

I understand that they're not uncommon in Regina, SK, in the summer, but this is one of the few I've photographed so far.

These mid-sized birds have an overall gray colouring, with black caps and dark reddish orange under-tail feathers.

(The picture below shows a better view of these rufous feathers. In that shot, this bird looks paler, too — a trick of harsh light in deep shadow, I suspect.)

Although they sometimes mimic other birds, the Gray Catbird's standard song is an odd, cat-like mewling.

This one stayed firmly in the shade of nearby trees, as if determined to thwart me and my camera-clutching hands.

(It would be nice if birds didn't do that... I would have liked a closer look at this Gray Catbird!)

Gray Catbird. Copyright © Shelley Banks, all rights reserved
Gray Catbird, along Wascana Creek, Regina. © SB

What is this? Gray Catbird (Moqueur chat)
Location: Wascana Creek, Regina, Saskatchewan
Photo date: July 6, 2012.

~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...